Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ciabatta Burgers and Pinto Salsa Salad

How long it took me: 40 Minutes
Cost: $18
Seriously, this is a good burger. My husband loved it!


Burgers

You'll Need:
1 lb Ground Beef
4 Ciabatta or Foccacia squares
2 cups Arugula
4 Slices of Havarti Cheese
10 Mushrooms, sliced with stems
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
2 tbs Lemon Juice
1/2 Clove Minced Garlic
Salt and Pepper

Mayonnaise Mixture: Mix Mayonnaise, lemon juice and minced garlic until creamy.

Burgers: Combine ground beef, salt and pepper together. Form 4 patties. Grill or fry in pan until cooked to desired doneness. Add cheese slices and cook until melted. On a plate, coat mushrooms in olive oil and salt and pepper. Over low-to-medium heat allow to cook until slightly tender.
Put it all together: Spread mayonnaise over buns. Make a bed of arugula on bun. Set burger with mushrooms on top, and you're in business!


Pinto Salsa Salad

You'll Need:
1 small clove garlic
3 tbs lime juice
2 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon chili oil or powder
1/4 cup olive oil


1 Can Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/3 cups fresh corn kernels
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/4 Cup small red onion, finely chopped
Salt
Pepper
2 tomatoes, diced without seeds
1 Avocado, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Dressing: Smash the garlic clove (I use the jarred kind, already minced), and pinch of salt until it becomes a thick paste. Whisk in lime juice, salt, chili oil and olive oil.

Salad: Toss the beans, corn, bell pepper, and onions. Add dressing until coated evenly.
Fold in tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.

This makes a good size salad. We saved the leftovers and ate it as a dip with tortilla chips the next day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Amber....I'm Miguel. I got those napkins @ West Elm today. I'm pretty impressed! Your meal looks pretty tasty. I think your idea is really great! It's pretty unusual and brave of you - and I ask myself why I never thought of such a thing?! Very cool. I'd love to watch your adventure unfold. Skills and information are readily available for anyone, but passion is not taught - you either have it or you don't. I'd love to have you check out my supper club sometime. How can I share some pics with you? Can I post them here or is there an email address? Take Care...Miguel