Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Velvety Squash Soup

Time it took me: 1 1/2 hours
Funds needed: $7
I was really nervous to see if this would actually turn out...and taste good. Although it took some elbow grease and time, I was surprised by the results-it was pretty dang good. I happened to have made cranberry sauce early for Thanksgiving so I served it on sourdough bread to go with the soup. Mike's comment on the meal: "Wow, this is a perfect fall meal."

Recipe taken and adapted from Cooking Light (November 2007)

You'll Need:
1 butternut squash
1 acorn squash
Cooking Spray
2 cups chopped onion
2 tsp olive oil
5 cups fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons molasses (I used honey and brown sugar)
1 tsp curry powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground red pepper (I used red pepper flakes)
2/3 cup half-and-half
1 tsp dried thyme

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Cut each squash into half; discard seeds and membranes. Coat cookie sheet (with lip) with cooking spray. Place squash face down. Combine oil and onions, tossing to coat. Spread onion mixture around squash on pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool before handling. Scoop squash pulp from skins. Place onion and squash pulp in a pot. Stir in broth and the next 5 ingredients (through pepper); bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Place half of soup mixture into a blender. Remove the center piece of blender and place a kitchen towel over hole to allow steam to escape. Puree until smooth. Repeat with 2nd half of soup mixture. Return all of puree into a pan; whisk in half-and-half and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, add thyme, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Serves 8

I roughly cut the recipe by 1/3. I reserved a third of the squash pulp and blended it with salt and pepper and a little olive oil to use for squash ravioli. I am freezing it until I decide I'm ready for more squash! It will make it a lot less labor-intensive, that's for sure.

No comments: